Authorities: Electrical failure caused deadly fire - News, Weather and Classifieds for Southern New England

Authorities: Electrical failure caused deadly fire

Posted: Updated:
A policeman secures the scene of a burned three-story apartment and business building in Lowell, Mass., Thursday, July 10, 2014, where officials said seven people died in a fast-moving pre-dawn fire. A policeman secures the scene of a burned three-story apartment and business building in Lowell, Mass., Thursday, July 10, 2014, where officials said seven people died in a fast-moving pre-dawn fire.
LOWELL, Mass. -

An apartment building fire that killed seven people was an accident caused by an electrical failure that began in a concealed space between two floors, authorities said Tuesday.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said the pre-dawn fire started and burned Thursday in the void space between the second and third floors for an undetermined period, then traveled undetected along the length of the building before breaking through and getting a sudden rush of oxygen that turned it into an inferno.

"It quickly became an inferno with intense heat, and thick, black, choking smoke," he said.

The cause was announced during a news conference at a Lowell fire station 100 yards from the scene of the blaze.

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan identified the victims as Torn Sak, his longtime girlfriend, Ellen Vuong, three of their five children, 38-year-old Tina Christakos and 72-year-old Robert Downs. Christakos and Downs were friends and roommates who lived in a separate apartment in the building.

Witnesses reported hearing fireworks as the blaze consumed the building. Coan said they were stored in the building and detonated at some point but didn't play a role in starting the fire. And a spokeswoman for Coan said after the news conference that there was no indication the fireworks caused the fire to spread more quickly.

Coan said the fire alarm system within the building was working, although the electrical failure appears to have at least partially disabled it. He said some of the 49 people who escaped the fire said they heard horn alarms in the building's hallways, but they were muffled and intermittent. Residents also had hard-wired smoke alarms with battery backups in their units. Coan said the majority of residents who were interviewed said they had heard one or both of the alarm systems.

Coan also said investigators "did not find that to be a troubled building" and had not cited the landlord for code violations.

How To Help

The Wish Project
Drop off clothing donations
1A Foundry St., Lowell, MA 01852
978-441-9474

Jeanne D'Arc Credit Union
Donations made payable to "Branch Street Fire Relief Funds"
Local branches or mail
581 Merrimack St., Lowell, MA 01854

American Red Cross of Massachusetts
139 Main St.
Cambridge, MA
617-274-5200

Powered by WorldNow

23 Kenney Drive
Cranston, R.I., 02920

Telephone: 401.455.9100
Fax: 401.455.9140
Email: news@wjar.com

Can't find something?

NBC 10 Outerwear Provided by:

NBC 10 Media Relations
Provided by:

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.