First responders describe "shocking" rescue of boy ran over by a - News, Weather and Classifieds for Southern New England

First responders describe "shocking" rescue of boy ran over by a train

Posted: Updated:
CHILHOWIE, VA (WJHL) - A conductor sounded the horn, even slammed the emergency brakes, trying to get 52-year-old Louis Perry and his six-year-old granddaughter to move out of the way, but as that train moved down the tracks in Chilhowie Sunday,  it was too late.

The grandfather and little girl were killed.

First responders said they the kids and their grandfather were out fishing after rescuers found two fishing poles and a tackle box in the river below the train tracks.

The seven-year-old grandson fell on the tracks, right before the train passed over him, ripping his shirt off.

"He told us that he tripped and fell and the train actually went completely over him and he got up and saw what happened and he was trying to run home," Eric Sweat said, a Chilhowie firefighter who was one of the first on the scene.

After the seven year old little boy saw his grand dad and little sister killed by the train, “he crawled out from underneath the train, ran down the railroad tracks on gravels, crossed over a barbed wire fence, ran underneath an under pass underneath the interstate, and crawled through brush and weeds to the top of this hill and waited out the thunder storm," Chilhowie firefighter and first responder Jenna Haynes said.

And while the little boy was waiting, rescue crews searched for him for hours in the river, under the tracks, and finally found two paths and picked one.

"We were just like this is the way I would go," Sweat said.

And after making their way through waist deep brush, mud, weeds, and trees, "We finally made it to a point where the field kind of opened up in to just tall weeds, and the first team heard a little boy yelling for them:"

"When we found him he was in his underwear, he'd lost his pants and the train actually ripped his shirt off, he was in his underwear and he was freezing to death," Sweat said. "He actually came out and ran to us, he said “my grandfathers dead I know that but I get to go home today, thank you."

Rescuers carried the little boy to the ambulance.

"It was totally by the grace of God we found him," Sweat said. They found him alive and with no major injuries. First responders said he was released from the hospital.

Previous story:

Copyright 2014 WJHL. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

23 Kenney Drive
Cranston, R.I., 02920

Telephone: 401.455.9100
Fax: 401.455.9140

Can't find something?

NBC 10 Outerwear Provided by:

NBC 10 Media Relations
Provided by:

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.