1 medium chopped onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 pound of zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 small eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 lb or less)
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 pound of fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped (or 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 pound of sweet or old fashioned Italian sausages
4 sprigs of thyme
1 sprig of rosemary
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Using a large oven-proof pan over medium-high heat, sauté onions in olive oil until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and reduce heat to low.
2. While the onions and garlic are cooking over low heat, put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. As soon as the pan gets hot, add enough zucchini cubes to form a layer on the bottom of the pan. Cook over high heat, stirring, until zucchini is lightly browned on all sides. Remove zucchini cubes, and add them to pan with the onions.
3. Repeat process until all of the zucchini cubes have been cooked. Continue with the bell peppers, then the eggplant cubes, adding the browned vegetables to the onion pan as soon as they are cooked. Add more olive oil as needed.
4. Add the tomatoes (and their juice) to your large oven-proof pan with the rest of the vegetables, along with salt, black pepper, red pepper, thyme, rosemary and 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Nestle the sausages in the pan.
5. Transfer to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the sausages are cooked through.
23 Kenney Drive
Can't find something?
Contact Us • Work With Us • FCC Public File • For problems with the FCC Public File • EEO Public Filings
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.