Yield: 2 servings
1 lb. squid (about 16 medium-sized), cleaned & cut into 1/2 inch rings
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup Rice flour
1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp coarse kosher or sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Oil for frying
Method of Preparation:
1. Place buttermilk, calamari rings, and tentacles into a bowl and set aside for one hour. If longer, refrigerate until you’re ready.
2. Heat oil in a large sauce pan or dutch oven over med-high heat.
3. Place dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.
4. Line a sheet pan with paper towels and pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
5. When oil reaches 380 degrees, remove some pieces of calamari from the buttermilk and allow excess liquid to run off before dredging them in the flour mixture. Place pieces, one at a time, into the hot oil. Work in batches. Do not overcrowd.
6. Remove calamari when golden brown, about 90 seconds to 2 minutes, and place on paper-lined sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and place in warmed oven.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all calamari are fried.
Chef's Note: I like to serve with lemon only.
23 Kenney Drive
Can't find something?
Contact Us • Work With Us • FCC Public File • For problems with the FCC Public File • EEO Public Filings
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.