1 cup rice
6 cups water
2 3/4 tsp salt
1 chicken, 2 to 2 1/2 pounds, cut into 8 pieces
6 tbsp. flour
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. minced or grated onion
4 tbsp. oil
1 bay leaf
1 small can (8 oz.) broken tomato pieces or whole tomatoes
1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp. plus 1 tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
4 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. oil
1 can okra, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen peas
1 small can minced clams
1/2 pound Italian sausage or breakfast sausage
4 to 6 tbsp. parsley, coarsely chopped
Method of Preparation:
1. In a large pan, cook the rice and 1 tsp. of salt in 3 cups of water for 5 minutes. Remover from the stove; strain, and discard the liquid. Place the rice back in the pot in which it cooked, and set aside.
2. Mix 4 tbsp. of flour with 1 tsp. of salt and 1/2 tsp. of pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces until they are evenly coated.
3. In a frying pan, heat the oil until it smokes. Fry the chicken pieces, turning them until they are deep brown on all sides. Remove to plate and keep warm.
4. Add the minced onion, bay leaf, and 2 tbsp. of remaining flour to the pan in which the chicken was cooked. Stir the mixture until it starts to brown, then remove from the stove, and briskly stir in1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. After 2 to 3 minutes of boiling, strain the sauce into a small bowl. Immediately return the chicken to the pan. Strain the sauce over the chicken, and add the remaining two cups of water. Cover the pot; bring to a boil; then reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, check the sauce for color. If it is not brown enough, add a tsp. of Kitchen Bouquet. Then add the chicken and sauce to the rice. Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil, and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork to prevent sticking. Reduce heat and keep warm while you make the sauce.
6. In the same pot in which the chicken was cooked bring the tomatoes in their liquid, 1/4 tsp. of salt, 1/4 tsp. of pepper, 1/2 tsp. of sugar, and garlic salt to a boil. Add 2 tbsp. of butter and stir. Add this mixture to the chicken and rice mixture.
23 Kenney Drive
Can't find something?
Contact Us • Work With Us • FCC Public File • For problems with the FCC Public File • EEO Public Filings
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.