Firefighters in Rehoboth battled cold and icy conditions Thursday night to put out a fire that tore through an historic home at the corner of School and Brook Streets.
A chimney problem was to blame for the fire that started at about 8:30 p.m.
Chief Robert Pray of the Rehoboth Fire Department told NBC 10 the fire had been smoldering in the wall for a while before it was eventually detected by the couple who owns the home. The couple then called 911.
Everyone was able to get out of the house unharmed.
Pray said the biggest problem for crews wasn't the fire, it was the cold and icy conditions.
Two firefighters fell while battling the fire, but their injuries weren't described as serious.
He said getting water was also difficult because there were no hydrants in the area. Pray said crews laid 1,000 feet of line to draw water up a hill from a nearby pond, and used several pump trucks.
"The biggest problem that we have because of the cold weather, and because of the economy and stuff, we have a lot of people that are using the alternative heat sources. And this is the third chimney fire that's turned out to be a structure fire this year. We've had several other chimney fires. So, the point is, you've got to have working smoke detectors and you've got to have those chimney's checked out and cleaned. It's very important. Like I said, this is our third chimney fire, in this short winter season already," Pray said.
The family living at the home is staying with relatives.
23 Kenney Drive
Can't find something?
Contact Us • Work With Us • FCC Public File • For problems with the FCC Public File • EEO Public Filings
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.