Massive blaze destroys Cumberland home - News, Weather and Classifieds for Southern New England

Massive blaze destroys Cumberland home

Posted: Updated:
CUMBERLAND, R.I. -

Fire officials said Tuesday a Cumberland couple was lucky to be alive after a massive fire that destroyed their home.

The fire started at about 11 p.m. Monday at the home on Diamond Hill Road.

Chief Brian Jackvony of the North Cumberland Fire Department told NBC 10 the fire appeared to have started in the vicinity of a wood stove in the family room on the first floor.

A man and woman were upstairs when they smelled the smoke and came to the stairs and saw the flames.

"They made an attempt to come downstairs and went back to the second floor. Then they did make a second attempt to go downstairs, so it was very close," Jackvony said.

Two of the couples' three dogs did not survive.

Jackvony said the town building inspector ordered the house be razed because it was not structurally sound.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

Powered by WorldNow

23 Kenney Drive
Cranston, R.I., 02920

Telephone: 401.455.9100
Fax: 401.455.9140
Email: news@wjar.com

Can't find something?

NBC 10 Outerwear Provided by:

NBC 10 Media Relations
Provided by:

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.