2 in Cranston dead; high CO detected - News, Weather and Classifieds for Southern New England

2 in Cranston dead; high CO detected

Posted: Updated:
CRANSTON, R.I. -

A man and a woman were found dead inside a Cranston home on Wednesday morning, police said.

Police and fire crews were called to 1012 Pontiac Ave. at about 8:30 a.m. for a report of two people who were found unresponsive inside the house.

A 40-year-old man and a 36-year-old woman were found dead, but police wouldn't comment on how they died. Their names were not released.

Fire officials said there were high levels of carbon monoxide in the home when crews arrived.

"Initially we went into help these folks, not knowing what we were walking into," said Cranston Fire Marshal Stephen MacIntosh.

Family members told NBC 10 the couple was in the process of moving and stayed at the house because there were still a few possessions inside.

One family member told NBC 10 that there was no heat or electricity so the couple used a generator in the basement.

MacIntosh said generators should always be put outside.

"They should be set up at minimum 10 feet away from the building. Windows and doors should be closed so fumes can't go back into the house," he said.

MacIntosh said a carbon monoxide detector installed inside the house wasn't working.

"Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devices for your home are the cheapest form of life insurance you could every buy," he said.

Police said the state medical examiner's office will be conducting tests to determine an exact cause of death.

Powered by WorldNow

23 Kenney Drive
Cranston, R.I., 02920

Telephone: 401.455.9100
Fax: 401.455.9140
Email: news@wjar.com

Can't find something?

NBC 10 Outerwear Provided by:

NBC 10 Media Relations
Provided by:

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.