2-3 pounds fresh fava (broad) beans, shelled (about 2 cups)
1 Tbsp. salt
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup cream
5 ounces goat cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Method of Preparation:
1. Remove the outer shell from the fava beans. Keep squeezing, pinching and snapping, until all the pods are de-beaned.
2. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the shelled beans, simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Use a slotted spoon to remove beans from the hot water and place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and to shock the beans into maintaining their bright green color. When the beans have sunk to the bottom of the bowl of ice water, fish them out and remove and discard the outer peel.
4. In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium. Add the chopped garlic and cook until softened, but not browned, about 3 or 4 minutes.
5. Place shelled and peeled beans in a food processor with softened green garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and water. Pulse until smooth. Stream in a tablespoon or two more of olive oil while puréeing.
6. Scrape mixture out of food processor into a bowl. Mix in the goat cheese until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with sliced cucumbers or jicama.
23 Kenney Drive
Can't find something?
Contact Us • Work With Us • FCC Public File • For problems with the FCC Public File • EEO Public Filings
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.