Fire officials in New Bedford believe a candle started a late-night fire Monday in a tenement building on Jouvette Street.
District Chief James Clark told NBC 10 first responders found fire coming from the second floor and extending to the roof and called for a second alarm.
The first crews arrived at the scene at 11:11 p.m.
Clark said a candle apparently set curtains in a corner bedroom on fire.
One firefighter was taken to Saint Luke's Hospital with a shoulder injury.
The Red Cross is providing shelter for six people.
Firefighters remained at the scene for more than two hours.
23 Kenney DriveCranston, R.I., 02920
NBC 10 Outerwear Provided by:
NBC 10 Media RelationsProvided by: