Police have released the name of a 63-year-old Hopkinton woman who died following a fire in her apartment.
The Westerly Sun reported that the woman went into cardiac arrest after food left on the stove started a fire.
The Providence Journal reported that Carol Christopher was declared dead at Westerly Hospital. The cause of her death hasn't been determined, but carbon monoxide poisoning was ruled out.
Neighbors reported smelling smoke and called 911 at about 2:20 a.m. Tuesday. The woman was already unconscious when her daughter and then firefighters tried to rescue her.
The home on Chase Hill Road in Ashaway had no working smoke detectors, according to investigators.