This Hour: Latest Rhode Island news, sports, business and entertainment - News, Weather and Classifieds for Southern New England

This Hour: Latest Rhode Island news, sports, business and entertainment

Posted: Updated:

IMMIGRATION DETAINERS-PROVIDENCE

Providence asked to require warrant for detainers

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - A civil liberties group is asking the Providence Police Department to follow the state prison system and stop honoring federal immigration detainers without a warrant.

Gov. Lincoln Chafee (CHAY'-fee) last week ordered the corrections department to require warrants for all detainers issued by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Several federal courts have ruled in recent months that the detainers violated people's civil rights. The first of those decisions was in Rhode Island in February.

The state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union sent the letter July 18 to Police Chief Hugh Clements.

It was not yet clear whether the Clements is planning to review or change the policy.

A department spokeswoman said she was checking. The ACLU's executive director says they have not heard back yet.

SEWAGE LEAK-SHELLFISHING

Kickemuit reopens to harvesting after sewage leak

BRISTOL, R.I. (AP) - State environmental officials are reopening the Kickemuit River to shellfish harvesting after a sewage overflow from a Bristol pump station last month.

The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management says the area will reopen at sunrise on Thursday barring additional heavy rainfall. Officials say test results of shellfish samples collected Monday were acceptable.

The area was closed on an emergency basis after a sewage overflow on June 26 at the Kickemuit River pump station caused by a cracked valve. Up to 10,000 gallons of untreated sewage entered the river over a 24-hour period before the overflow was halted.

A precautionary advisory urging people to refrain from swimming and other contact recreational activities was lifted on July 1 after water sampling showed it was safe.

HOSPITAL-DATA BREACH

Hospital to pay $150,000 for lost data, records

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - A Rhode Island hospital has agreed to pay $150,000 in Massachusetts after losing backup tapes that contained the personal information of more than 12,000 Massachusetts residents.

Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley announced the agreement with Women and Infants Hospital in Providence on Wednesday. It was approved by a judge on Tuesday.

The hospital in 2012 discovered it had lost 19 backup tapes from its prenatal diagnostic centers in Providence and New Bedford. They contained ultrasound images and data including names, birth dates and some Social Security numbers.

Coakley says the loss of the tapes put Massachusetts consumers at risk.

Under terms of the settlement, the hospital has agreed to audit its data security measures and make improvements.

The hospital says has taken several steps to prevent such a breach from happening again.

PROVIDENCE-FINANCIAL LITERACY

Providence to pilot financial literacy program

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Providence is among four cities selected to test a new federal program teaching financial literacy skills to young people just entering the workforce.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau developed the pilot program, which aims to teach people ages 14 to 21 how to set money goals, track spending, understand credit and other skills.

Desmond Brown of the bureau says they hope to help first-time workers in summer jobs learn how to manage their new income.

The other cities piloting the project are St. Louis, Evansville, Illinois, and Little Rock, Arkansas.

PARENTS KILLED

Man charged with killing parents pleads not guilty

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - A North Providence man accused of killing his parents in their home last summer has pleaded not guilty.

Thirty-seven-year-old Mark Yu entered the not guilty plea Wednesday to two charges of murder.

He is accused of killing 60-year-old Young Yu and 61-year-old Yeon Yu at their home in July 2013. Authorities have said the Yus had been dead for about two days when their bodies were found wrapped in bedding. The cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma to the head.

Police said they found Mark Yu locked in a bathroom.

He has been held ever since.

The judge scheduled a pre-trial conference for Oct. 2.

DRUG TRAFFICKING

4th man sentenced in drug trafficking case

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - A fourth man targeted in a federal, state and local law enforcement investigation into the trafficking of heroin, Ecstasy, cocaine and other drugs has been sentenced to seven years in federal prison.

Rhode Island's U.S. attorney said 26-year-old Stanz Hun of Cranston was sentenced Tuesday. Authorities said he's a member of two street gangs and admitted to operating his own trafficking business and being a customer of Salee Yang of Pawtucket.

Yang, the probe's primary target, got a 10-year sentence in March. Two others who admitted being suppliers for Yang also received prison time.

Officials say the 15-month investigation resulted in the seizure of heroin, crack cocaine, cocaine powder, the synthetic "Molly," Ecstasy and six firearms.

The case was brought as part of the Rhode Island Urban Violent Crime Initiative.

LADDER DISPUTE

Newport councilman pleads no contest to assault

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - A Newport city councilman has pleaded no contest to assaulting a contractor over a ladder.

State Police say Councilman Michael Farley was arrested Wednesday on a simple assault charge for allegedly assaulting a contractor who was working at his neighbor's home in June.

The altercation occurred after Farley accused 41-year-old Kevin Schiavone of stealing a ladder from his property. Schiavone said he thought the ladder belonged to his client.

Farley pleaded no contest at his arraignment in district court, according to the court.

The conviction will be dropped if Farley stays out of trouble for one year. He was ordered to pay restitution to Schiavone for medical expenses and have no contact with him.

Newport police turned over the investigation to state police to avoid the appearance of any favoritism.

STOLEN TUGBOAT

Man charged with stealing tugboat East Providence

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - East Providence police say they've arrested a man for stealing and grounding a tugboat last month, and more arrests may be on the way.

The Providence Journal reports that 48-year-old Richard A. Maisano of Warwick was charged with one count of felony receiving stolen property. A telephone listing for Maisano could not be found.

Capt. Richard Frazier says they are looking for others who were involved, and more arrests are pending.

The 40-foot vessel named the Theodore was stolen from an East Providence marina June 3. It was found partially submerged with no one on board. Authorities believe the thieves jumped ship.

Fishermen told the authorities they saw at least two people on board, and that the boat was going in circles.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

23 Kenney Drive
Cranston, R.I., 02920

Telephone: 401.455.9100
Fax: 401.455.9140
Email: news@wjar.com

Can't find something?

NBC 10 Outerwear Provided by:

NBC 10 Media Relations
Provided by:

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.